Schizophrenia is a condition that severely affects patient and in turn entire family. It requires judicial approach for effective and long lasting management. One can make good use of treatment options to manage condition and improve overall life.
- Know about it – First thing first. Know about schizophrenia. This will make patient and entire family at ease. It is not black magic or spiritual illness. It is a medical condition and is treatable.
- Know about treatment options – Know about conventional medicines, acupuncture, homeopathy, psychotherapy, hypnotherapy, dietetics, yoga, meditation and tai-chi.
- Plan well – Be realistic and plan well. Do not lose hope. Define realistic goals and attain them.
- Family Counseling – Family must understand the condition and how to play effective role in managing the condition.
- Life management – Long term life management is crucial. Issues like overall health, finance, relationships & socialization, time management, recreation etc must be discussed and defined.
- Support – One can look for support by joining support groups or other activity groups. Motivation is key factor in long term management.